Education is indeed a quintessential part of our lives. It helps us to attain success in any walk of life. Education is important for the personal, social and economic development of any nation. Education is critical to live with happiness and prosperity.
Education guide a human to fight for success in life:
Education empowers minds and helps develop logic. It enables us to conceive and perceive logical thoughts and ideas. It helps us in making logical life decisions. Education is not about doing a degree, it is about how you can live gracefully on your own.
Education helps to become successful students, parents, entrepreneurs, doctors, engineers, pilots and to cap it all, honest citizens. Being in contact with an educated person and having an intelligent conversation with him expands knowledge base and introduces a certain creativity and joy in the mind.
Education makes the national development process a fast one:
Education develops a good political ideology. The standard of living of the citizens of a country is largely dependent on the level of education they are able to acquire.
Parents, siblings and teachers – being very import-also impart priceless knowledge about ethics and morals right from the beginning at a tender mind stage so that these qualities stay with him for his entire life in the form of prerequisites.
Initial education begins at home:
How we behave-as a child, tween, teen or young adult- with our parents and how much regard we have for our elders, peers and juniors, is a direct result of our initial education in our childhood days. So, it wouldn’t be wrong to say that a person’s primary education begins at his home wherein a child learns behavior, morality, and respect parameters. As the child grows older, his ambitions and desires grow bigger and parents try their best to provide him the best educational environment to make his dreams come true.
Rapid commercialization of education sector:
If you look at the existing educational system today, you will notice that education has been reduced to an exchange of instructions and information and nothing more nothing less. Whereas in earlier times the motive of education was to infuse good values and morals also in an individual’s consciousness. Today we have drifted away from this ideology because of the rapid commercialization in the education sector.
Parents sacrifice their today so that their children can have a better tomorrow. But when parents need help, from their children, in the last phase of their life, then all not fortunate. Lack of moral values in children is the culprit. That is why the institute of marriage and children there of is waning in some parts of the world.
Education scene in this Modern Era:
The following points, shed light in what way is the importance of an education is perceived in the modern era:
• a child is pushed into a school at the tender age of 3 where the child goes through a mindless routine. It is not that the parents want him to attain some knowledge; it is due to the “demonstrative effect”. Since others are doing it, let me do also, is the mere thinking.
• All of you will agree, the market for education has gone very competitive. Similarly, the most prevalent psychology among students today is to fight intense competition for a certain degree to get a certain job. Resultantly, education has become highly commercialized and almost like a business today, with institutes charging very high fees for their degrees which promise good placements because they have “tie-ups” with the companies. But still many of them are leaving their jobs after 3-4 months or most of them are not satisfied or fire from the job.
• In this age of vying competition, educational institutions are spending lot of money on marketing and advertising during admission times to entice new admissions. So sometimes people are not influenced by the teachers and the quality of teaching but are influenced by the advertisements and promotional campaigns being run by the institute.
• Since the market has gone global and every country is like a city on the map of world, today the sole objective of getting an education has been reduced to earning money and nothing more.
The point I want to drive home is the fact that we are getting bookish knowledge along with a degree in the end, which is done so that we can get a certain job. What is more important is to make use of our education in a way that unleashes our creativity and eventually brings behavioral changes in us for the greater good of mankind.
In present times, there are innumerable methods of getting what we call education. But the students are still not knowledgeable enough to face the real challenges that life throws at them.
Problems associated with the modern educated society today and its impact:
• Young students are spending lot of money on their education today, but many of them fail to get or retain a decent job.
• Society today is well educated and modernized to a great extent, but many are still superstitious.
• Though many are educated and aware that cleanliness is essential to prevent diseases, yet we see heaps of garbage lying around everywhere.
• If we are educated and know very well that certain politicians are corrupt, why do we still vote for them into powerful positions and then become submissive to them?
Parental attitude towards education is most important:
They are the first influence when a child is born and they inculcate or impart good values, morals, and ethics in their child from the very beginning. Parents try to develop good habits in their children about respecting elders and supporting them in their old age. It is heart breaking to see some people sending their old and ailing parents to old age homes when they don’t want to take their responsibility.
To lead a good life and to get the spiritual and material happiness that lasts for a life time, it is absolutely essential to get educated. Only education can help our society to progress further and education is the only element that is equally significant for all of us. Education teach us how to think, not what to think.
The task of the Govt. is not to cut down jungles, but to irrigate deserts. We need to educate the minds. But always remember, educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all. Needless to say, “the mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled and rekindled.”
Education produce a mindset without fears. When the children of a country have a fertile mind and a good heart -always a formidable combo -with a literate tongue and a mightier pen to support, then that nation is bound to grow and register her supremacy.
Educate the World, Modificate the World
Prof. Surinder Kochhar (Shaun)
LPN, FCN, M.Com, CAIIB, DIM A freelance writer with 36 Years Exp. A Health Coach of University of Victoria