Advent of Cell Phone revolutionized the world:
The advent and addition of cell phones, laptop, I pad and search engine- Google, Mozilla, Bing, Yahoo, Safari et al brought a revolution in the world of Social media. Out of this Cell phone being handy, being with the user all the time and made tech savvy year after year revolutionized the whole game.
Origin of cell phone
Motorola was the first company to produce a handheld mobile phone. On April 3, 1973, Martin Cooper, a Motorola researcher and executive, made the first successful mobile telephone call from handheld subscriber equipment. The cell phone goes public in the year 1983
Social media is neither good nor bad or ugly. It depends on the user[s] when, why and how much one wants to give time for it. People from every walk of life are hooked to Social Media to the extent that it has relegated to the upper rung of addiction. Though we need Social Media from every angle – for the unparallel benefits it is bestowed upon- yet MODERATION IS THE KEY
It took ten years for the technology that Dr. Cooper invented to become available to the public. The first public cell phones were put out by Motorola. When we look back over the last ten years and try to find some element that affected society in toto from a technical standpoint, there would be a couple of possible contenders.
Towards example, the advancement of smartphone technology in such a short time is certainly impressive. However, the impact of social media, while intertwined with the smartphone is something that made even more of an impression. Consider just how easy it is to see what is happening on the other the Universe. Twitter and Face Book, Twitter, Instagram, What’s Up revolutionised the world. This technology has proved that they are important to help people keep in contact and updated particularly during disasters.
Cell Phones are Impacting Relationships -Romantic as well as Friendship:
• Regularly chatting with friends/peers/ mates is made at ease, as people are only a click away.
• Being attached to your phone can be a positive thing at the start of a relationship and a sign of blossoming romance. When you’re sending each other messages, it’s really exciting and pleasurable to get messages from someone who is interested in you.”
• A 2016 study from Brigham Young University asked married or cohabiting women how technology (including smartphones, TVs and computers) was impacting their lives and the majority said it frequently interrupted their interactions, such as conversations, and mealtimes with their partners.
• The study found those who perceived technology to have the largest impact were also likely to have lower relationship and overall life satisfaction.
• This technology is definitely better but overuse affects adversely; the conversations, activities and time with romantic partners.
• Users send unspoken messages about what they value most, which is encouraging.
Google has been making schools more high-tech with its suite of cloudbased computing apps whereas parents notice a ‘malaise of scrolling – which – they think, is detrimental in excess form for their kids’ health.’ “It is not out of place to mention that, the sooner the kids, adolescents, or teenagers get used to this platform, the easier it will be to make it their lifelong habit – which suits these mega companies.
• Over Millions are always on the phone to understand each other in a better way.
• Like in any relationship the best way to deal with frequent phone use is to start talking to your partner honestly about it.
• Sensible people open up a dialogue and establish some ground rules, such as agreeing to certain times of day being the comfort zone for each other, so they connect or disconnect with each other in their comfort zones.
• Excessive phone use- may be unintentionally, courtesy smartphones and social media have also made it easier than ever for people to start an emotional online friendship to start with and pursue it meaningfully on the carousel of time.
• Honest and genuine people need to be aware of people’s phone habits, because there are cheating boyfriends who always try to defeat others
• People do impersonate and play with the genuine sentiments of others to the detriment of others
Merits of Social Media:
Connectivity: People from anywhere can connect with anyone anywhere. The beauty of social media is that you can connect with anyone to learn and share your thoughts.
Education: Social media has a lot of benefits for people from every strata of society. It is very easy to learn from others who are experts and professionals via the social media. You can follow anyone to learn from him/her and enhance your knowledge about any field. Regardless of your location and educational background you can educate yourself, for free.
Social Media is a new marketing tool – for business community in particular- that allows them to get to know their customers and prospects in ways that were previously not possible. Social Media is not a fad, it is proving to be just the beginning of the marketing revolution.
Help: You can share your issues with the community to seek help and guidance. Whether it is helping in term of money or in term of advice, you can get it from the community you are engaged with. Information and Updates: The main advantage of the social media is that you update yourself from the latest happenings around the world. Most of the time, digital and print media these days are biased and does not convey the true message. With the help of social media, you can get the facts and true information by doing some research.
Promotion: Whether you have an offline business or online, you can sell your products to the world at large. This makes the businesses more economically viable and technically feasible.
Social Cause: Social media can also be used for the social causes. Social welfare activities and donations for the needy people are given a wide platform. People are using social media for donation for needy people and it can be a speedy way to help such people.
Spread Awareness – Social media also create awareness and innovate the way people live. It is the social media which has helped people discover new and innovative stuff that can enhance personal lives.
Expands Business Reputation – Just like it can ruin any business reputation, it can also improve business sales and reputation. Positive comments and sharing about a company can help them with sales and goodwill.
Helps in Building Communities – This world has many religions and beliefs. Social media helps in building and participating in the community of own religion and believes to discuss and learn about it.
Demerits of social media:
Cyberbullying: Since anyone can create a fake account and do anything without being traced, it has become quite easy for anyone to bully on the Internet. Sometimes with the help of social media Threats, intimidation messages are sent, and rumors are spread too to create discomfort and chaos in the society.
Hacking: Personal data and privacy can easily be hacked and shared on the Internet. Which can make financial losses and loss to personal life. Similarly, identity theft is another big issue. Daily many personal twitter and Facebook accounts are getting hacked to affect personal lives. This is one of the most dangerous disadvantages of Social Media.
Addiction – The teenagers are the most affected by the addiction of the social media. They get involved very emotionally, extensively and are eventually cut off from the society. It also results in wasting individual time that could have been otherwise utilized by productive tasks and activities.
Fraud and Scams – Myriads of cases are available where individuals and institutions have been scammed and frauds committed through the social media.
Security Issues Privacy of the people has been almost compromised. – Many security agencies have access to personal accounts of people. Which makes the masses to view Social Media as risky?
Prof. Surinder Kochhar (Shaun)
LPN, FCN, M.Com, CAIIB, DIM A freelance writer with 36 Years Exp. A Health Coach of University of Victoria