How mothers’ day started:
After all, a mom is a mom, is a mom. It started in USA. In the U.S, the idea of honoring mothers with a special day originates by abolitionist Julia Ward Howe in 1872, but that observance and others faded. In 1908, another effort was made by Anna Jarvis, a West Virginia native who had moved to Philadelphia, led a campaign to celebrate Mother’s Day in May, marking the anniversary of her own mother’s death. Her idea caught on nationally and in 1914 a joint resolution of Congress and presidential proclamation established the second Sunday in May as Mother’s Day. Today the holiday is a popular day wherein mothers get phonecalls, greeting cards, flowers, gifts- as a token of love- and dining out.
Mother’s Day in Canada
As a corollary, The Mother’s Day is celebrated in Canada and other parts of the world also. It is fixed on the second Sunday of May each year. Many Canadians celebrate Mother’s Day by showing their appreciation for mothers or mother -like figures. Mother figures include step-mothers, mothers-in-law, guardians (e.g. a foster mother). It is a special time for people to thank their noble mothers and mother figures who took time to care for them and help them through their formative years and life’s challenges in succession. So, children give cards, flowers, or chocolates, and/or make handmade items or special meals on Mother’s Day. Others take their mothers or mother figures to the movies, a restaurant, cafe, or a day in a park. Some mothers also receive special gifts such as jewellery, clothing, accessories, and gift vouchers for services or products.
Mother’s Day is not a federal holiday:
It comes on a Sunday, when many organizations, schools, and government offices are closed. Restaurants may be more- busier than usual as some people take their mothers out for a treat.
What goes on to make a good mother?
Mothers are here and there. Though Good mothers are everywhere. Have you ever wondered as what makes a mother a good mother? The definition of a good mother varies from mother to mother. The most important thing, for her, is to love her children and to make sure they feel loved.
This article is meant to all the young and aged mothers, working
mothers and homemakers, married mothers and the single ones;
those with reasonable money and without; and for those without
whom life of their kids would have been intolerable. For those
mothers who cannot restrain tears from trickling down their cheeks
when they hold their babies for the first time in their arms; and for
the mothers who give birth to babies they could never see.For the
mothers who taught their children to tie the shoelaces even before
they started going to school.For mothers who have milk stains on
their shirts and diapers in their hand bags.For the mothers who
silently shed tears for their children who are into drugs. For all
the mothers of the victims of all these school shootings, and the
mothers of those who were involved in the shooting.For the mothers
of the survivors of terrorist attacks, and the mothers who sat in front
of their TVs in fear, clinging to their children for umpteen minutes
who just arrived from school safely.
A Good Mom ensures that:
- A good mom, ensures that the children are raised with proper education and confidence.
- Set clear and firm ground rules and work to be a positive role model in kids’ lives.
- Be sure to perform self-care and build relationships with supportive people who can be there for you so you can be there for your children.
- Praise her children to reinforce positive behaviors or using timeouts or some other form of correction to manage misbehavior instead of spankings.
- Is affectionate most often. Dish out plenty of love in the form of hugs, kisses, and words of affirmation. Affection reminds the child that they are loved unconditionally. This results in higher self-esteem, better academic performance, fewer behavioral problems, and an overall stronger relationship between a mother and her child.
- Make sure most of the interactions she has with her children is positive and ever-loving. DO NOT FORGET to show affection daily. She knows how to raise healthy, happy kids.
- If you have a baby, affection may simply involve holding your infant regularly or speaking reassuringly.
- Encourage healthy communication, and children know that she is open to talking with them. Being easily approachable and also limits judgments or criticisms.
- Spend quality time with kids. Teach them how to build relationships with each of her kids, when children are tweens or teens, cook together, take a walk, or even do crafts. This reinforceher bond.
- Always validate the plus points/ decisions of the child and make them feel worthy.
- Help nurture their interests / hobbies and outlooks,
- Give kids the freedom to explore different things without judgment.
- Love all the children for who they are. Try toshare quality time, praising, and disciplining each of her kids.
- try to promote strong sibling relationships by not comparing one kid to another.
- Good mothers avoid showing favoritism, as doing so could lead to aggression, lower self-esteem, and poor academic performance. Plus, playing favorites may turn your kids against one another. Collaborate with the spouse/ partner or co-parent so that all are on the same page.
A mother is the one
whokeeps awake all
night with their sick
toddlers in their arms,
constantly uttering those
compassionate words, “It’s
OK Sweetie, Mom is here
with you. Nothing to fear;
nothing to worry
She is a role model:
A mom, doesher best to practice what she preaches. She always reflects a consistent image to her kids. She understands it is an important part of being a good mom. Children repeat behaviors that their parents do, so avoid setting rules and standards for your kids, which you don’t follow yourself. Children follow the parents by example and not by what you preach.
Mum should admit when she is in thewrong and apologize.
Be a standup mom who understands no one is perfect and is willing to acknowledge your shortcomings. Admitting your own wrongdoings, shows your kids that there’s nothing to be ashamed of about mistakes—as long as they confess up and try to make amends.
Mother encourages kids all the time:
Every mom is blessed with wisdom to know when to motivate and when to be precisewith their children. Every time, she deals them with an extra dose of patience. She knows that children are a heritage and so shower them with special moments they can cherish through their respective lives.
Promote good health and well-being of the family:
Make health a major focus area in your household by eating well, exercising, and getting plenty of rest. Encourage your kids to do the same. In case, you have small kids, try joining a gym or recreation center that has a daycare so you can work out. Family can try family bike ride, sports, or activities that promote fitness by getting involved in the community.
Don’t put unreasonable pressure on yourself:
With the help of your own defense mechanisms learn to take things in your stride and accept your limitations. Instead of trying to be a superhero, try to be good enough. Always remember that I am not perfectand so are others. Stay away from judgmental people or cut down on your social media to the extent possible. At times, continue to re-examine your social circle, as instances of mom-shaming often run widespreadin social groups. If you find that some moms are regularly judging or criticizing others, get some distance from these people. Better alone than in a bad company.
A mother is the one who
yell at her kids, sometimes,
whooutcry for ice cream
before dinner.She is a
parent who defy all odds
just to watch her kid
perform and constantly
buck up even when the
child did not perform very
She need to care for herself:
Dear mother, take time away for yourself without feeling guilty. Don’t feel guilty about being away from your children every now and then, for some may say “my time.” It sends a message to your kids about the importance of managing stress and caring for oneself. Plus, spending time apart helps you unzipthe daily stress and helps them learn to do things on their own. Explain selfcare to your children and ask them what they do for self-care. This will build a healthy habit in your children.
Share responsibilities with your partner:
Good moms don’t try to carry the cross of the family on their own. Wisely, they involve a spouse or partner, ask them to share the load with them. If a mum is overtired or overwhelmed, involve the members of the family to take on more duties, so she can rest and recharge. A mother can delegate the tasks to the members of the family as per their capabilities.
Mothers’ day v/s Fathers’ Day celebration:
Father’s Day is also celebrated in Canada on the third Sunday of June, when people thank fathers and father figures for the positive contributions they made in their lives. This is an exception that inthis man dominated world, on Mothers’ day, every restaurant in every nook and corner of Surrey BC is booked to the brim, for a mother dinner honor, whereas on Fathers’ day many are vacant.Though, being a man, I feel slightly jealous, but my conscience re-confirms me, a mom, definitely has an edge on a father in the hearts of the children.
Mothers and their children are in a category which is unique in itself. There’s no relationship so strong in the entire world. No love so instantaneous and forgiving. The relationship between parents and children, but especially between mothers and daughters, isenormously powerful, scintillatingly beautiful and immensely faithful.A mother is also a daughter’s first best friend. Time is opportune to remind YOUR MUMof her worth in your eyeson this auspicious day. And I hope you’ll also take a moment to share this article with yourdear mom/ grandmom/ mother like figures and let them feel again they’re blessed, prayed for and very well appreciated from the cockles of your heart. Needless to add that Motherhood is a mission extraordinaire Wish all of you a very Happy Mother’s Day!!”